Monday, July 13, 2026

The Behind-the-Scenes Drama, Iraola on Jones and Edwards.

 The Behind-the-Scenes Drama, Iraola on Jones and Edwards.


IRAOLA UNFILTERED: "I Need to Prove I Belong at Liverpool"
New Liverpool head coach Andoni Iraola has given a sprawling, incredibly candid interview to Paul Gorst, lifting the lid on his personal challenges, the sudden exit of Michael Edwards, the future of Curtis Jones, and his master plan to weaponize Anfield.

On Stepping up to Anfield & Proving Himself

 The Ultimate Test: Iraola didn't shy away from the sheer scale of the job. "I feel like I have a lot of things to prove in terms of I’ve never coached a club as big as Liverpool. So, it’s a big challenge for me. But there always has to be that first moment. My career has been slowly, slowly... going to a better club, to a better club."

 Earning Respect: The Basque coach knows the clock is ticking to win over the environment. "There is always a time where I say, ‘You have to prove that you belong.’ And this is the first month for me now. I need to prove myself, and get everyone to know that I belong here... Once everyone understands that, everything gets easier — from the players, the supporters, the media, the opposition."

 The Reality Check from FSG: Iraola revealed the blunt honesty of the hierarchy during talks. "When I came here, the owners told me everything is not perfect. They said we would have some challenges, we would have to replace important players leaving, we have some injuries, but we are here to solve these kinds of problems."

 On Michael Edwards’ Shock Resignation

Despite the board-level chaos, Iraola insists his day-to-day focus remains strictly on the grass and the market:

 "No, I have to be honest. I’m focused on my job... and in my everyday, I’m more worried about transfers! I talk to Richard Hughes, I talk to Mike Gordon, I talked to Michael Edwards – in the times I’ve spoken to him he seems super-smart - so it is unfortunate he’s not going to continue with us but he’s explained very well his decision and his reasons. I think it’s more at ownership level than something that is going to affect the coach."

On Blocking the Curtis Jones Exit

Amid heavy transfer links to Nottingham Forest and Inter Milan, Iraola threw down a massive gauntlet to the board to keep the midfielder:

 "I rate Curtis very highly. For me he is a great player. It’s very important he’s Scouse, that he’s from here. I also like the personality. I hope we can keep him, not only for this year, more time."

The "Suffocating" Anfield Blueprint

 Tactical Identity: "I always talk about energy. I want my team to be energetic. I want to be dynamic, to play in the opposition half as much as we can... and try to suffocate the opposition, especially at Anfield. We have to make Anfield a very uncomfortable place to come."

 The Emotional Spark: Iraola emphasized that the famous atmosphere must be triggered by the players first. "[Regaining that connection] is probably one of the first things to do and achieve... I know if the team gives what we want, we'll have everyone behind us. And this is something that I would like also the players to acknowledge and accept."

Via: @ptgorst

No comments:

Post a Comment

Supporters' Union Reacts to FSG's £1.65bn Liverpool Investment Deal.

Liverpool supporters' union Spirit of Shankly (SOS) has responded to Fenway Sports Group's landmark deal selling a 30% stake in Liv...